Our Legal Services
WTT Legal is an Alternative Business Structure (“ABS”) authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, (No. 654197) We provide niche legal expertise and advice on the Statement of Work (“SOW”) model, with particular expertise on IR35 and the Off Payroll legislation.
Working within various sectors of the professional services market, we provide our clients with unparalleled levels of expertise in a simple and transparent manner akin to the wider company ethos.
We offer impartial advice including a free initial 30 minute legal consultation. Click here to book your free call
What we do
Whether you are an end hirer, consultancy, recruitment agency or contractor we can assist you to develop robust contracts, policies and procedures to ensure that you are operating your business compliantly.
If you wish to engage contractors working “Outside IR35” or just want to ensure that your services are being delivered on a genuine outsourced basis under a SOW, there are very few SRA regulated law firms who understand the intricacies and complexities of IR35/Off Payroll and the SOW model. WTT Legal Ltd. has niche specialist experience in this area of law acquired from years advising recruitment companies.
For those companies or agencies already delivering project-based services or considering transitioning to consultancy services, our “Consultancy Package” includes:
- SOW Risk Assessment (including a review of your current and historic working practices and contractual arrangements)
- Bespoke Master Services Agreement (“MSA”) and Statement of Work (“SOW”) templates, contracts for limited company contractors (outside IR35), contracts for umbrella companies (inside IR35), agency contracts (inside and/or outside IR35) and employment contracts for consultancy staff
- IR35 reviews
- Status Determination Statements (“SDS”) if applicable
- Assistance with negotiating contracts with the parties in your supply chain with specific focus on onerous indemnities, liabilities and warranties
- Training for internal and external stakeholders to ensure that the risk of inferred employment is mitigated
- Due diligence processes for ensuring that your entire supply chain is compliant
- Insurance referral for SOW and Outside IR35 insurance
- “In House” legal advice on employment-related issues
In addition to advising on SOW and IR35, the solicitors at WTT Legal have extensive experience within the staffing industry with specific expertise in restrictive covenants, the Agency Workers Regulations, the Employment Agencies Act, the Construction Industry Scheme (“CIS”) and the Equality Act. We can also assist with any recruitment-related dispute including:
- Debt recovery (letters of claim, small claims etc.)
- Fee disputes (enforcement of restrictive covenants, transfer fees, failure to sign timesheets etc.)
- Contractor disputes (i.e. restrictive covenants, AWR, termination issues, payment issues etc)
- Employment disputes (discrimination, termination, holiday pay etc.)
- Supplier disputes (umbrella companies etc.)
Finally, we can assist with the drafting of employment contracts, staff handbooks, disciplinary and grievance procedures, and issues relating to TUPE or redundancies.
Our Partnership with WTT Consulting
WTT Legal’s team of lawyers and paralegals deliver legal solutions which are integrated with the tax advice provided by WTT Consulting allowing us to offer a holistic approach to the provision of legal advice, efficiently and effectively. Working within various sectors of the professional services market, we provide our clients with unparalleled levels of expertise in a simple and transparent manner akin to the wider company ethos.
Our Partnership with IR35 Navigator
WTT Legal has partnered with IR35 Navigator, an APSCO Trusted Partner, to facilitate the compliance processes associated with the Off Payroll legislation. IR35 Navigator is a cloud based compliance platform that supports the IR35 Assessment process WTT Legal undertake. It has the following advantages:
- Records the engagement and supply chain parties
- Help us gather and record evidence such as:
- working practice questionnaires
- supply chain documentation
- Provides a compliant framework for the approval and delivery of the Status Determination Statement from Argo to the contractor
- Facilitate the 45 Day Client-led Status Disagreement Process should the contractor want to challenge the status decision
- Uses Blockchain technology that will provide immutable evidence to HMRC (if required) of the status decision reached and the evidence that led to that decision.
Our Partnership with Begbies Traynor
WTT Legal have partnered with insolvency practioners Begbies Traynor to enable us to assist contractors considering closing their limited company.
Working with Begbies, we can provide advice relating to dissolution, strike off and/or assist with a Members Voluntary Liquidation (“MVL”).
Our Partnership with the Contractor Cooperative
For those clients who wish to engage with a compliant payroll provider, we can refer you to our umbrella partner, the Contractor Cooperative.
Our Partnership with Kingsbridge Insurance
WTT Legal has negotiated a 15% discount for our clients who require PI/PL/EL or tax liability insurance.
We offer fixed price arrangements for the vast majority of our services. Clients value the reliability and predictability of a fixed price and can better plan and manage their legal spend with fixed rate billing systems. The advantages are clear:
- Predictability- the cost of the project are known in advance, meaning there won’t be any surprises or large legal bill at the end of the engagement
- Speed and perception- there is no need to be concerned about the hours ascribed to items on the project or to enquire whether the hours are accurate
- Focus on content- an agreed fixed price means fewer discussions about how the time is spent and it doesn’t cause problems if there are more hours needed than expected.
Finally fixed fee pricing provides our clients with price transparency and clarity on what is expected before instruction.
We offer impartial advice including a free initial 30 minute legal consultation. As a regulated law firm, our advice is backed by professional indemnity insurance. Book Here
Meet the Team
The team is headed by Carla Roberts, Director of Legal Services, a dual-qualified (US/UK) lawyer who has over 12 years of experience advising the staffing/recruitment industry. Carla was previously Head of Legal for a major engineering recruitment company (Gattaca PLC) located on the south coast and also worked as Sr. Legal Counsel for Alexander Mann Solutions. Her career has included another 10 years working in a compliance managerial roles for large insurance companies. The combination of this experience in the recruiting and insurance industry has provided her with unmatched skills and expertise in recruitment law and niche expertise in the SOW model.
Leila is a Trainee Solicitor at WTT Legal, she is currently focusing on aspects of commercial, employment law and insolvency to provide advisory and consultancy services to clients. With a background in tax, Leila is able to focus on legal solutions that are integrated with tax advice. Recently advising on a range of matters including IR35 issues and commercial contracts.
Rhys’ professional background began in the legal industry working on international contractual agreements and dispute resolution. Following this Rhys moved into the financial sector utilising his legal knowledge to perform alternative dispute resolution for the Financial Services industry.
Rhys now manages the WTT Group of companies and oversees the continued development and expansion of the organisation.
Our team of experts are on hand to answer any questions you have. To see if we can help give us a call or enter your contact details below and we’ll be in touch within 24 hours.